French Cuisine - Food and Drink Quiz
1. What type of soup is a Julienne?
2. The Italians and Americans call them Zucchini. What do the French and British call them?
3. At what stage of the meal would you eat a charlotte?
4. Which region of France is the original home of Calvados?
5. What type of delicious food are the French lunges de chat?
6. What name is given to a pan of hot water which stands on top of the cooker in which other pans stand, so that their contents will cook gently?
7. What is Coquille St. Jaques a fancy name for?
8. What is the head waiter in a French restaurant called?
9. How is a drink served when it is described as Frappe?
10. What name is given to a ham and cheese sandwich dipped in beaten egg and deep-fried?
11. When food is cooked en croûte, what does it mean?
12. What is the difference between pommes and pommes de terre?
13. What have you ordered if a thin pancake is cooked in butter, sugar, orange juice and Caraçao, and then flambéed at your table?
14. Petit fours means literally 'little ovens', but what are they?
15. What is the main ingredient of a soufflé?
16. In a French restaurant, what describes a dish that is specially recommended that day?
17. Bénédictine has been made by the Bénédictine order since the 16th century. On what is it based?
18. At what stage of the meal would you eat cassoulet?
19. What is a sorbet?
20. How is boeuf bourguignon cooked?
21. What type of stew is navarin?
22. What is the most famous guise to the best restaurants in France called?
23. What is clafouti?
24. If you ordered carré d'agneau, what would be served?
25. François-René de Chateaubriand was a novelist, poet and politician. What type of food was named after him?
1. Clear soup with thin strips of vegetables
8. Maitre d'hôtel
9. With finely crushed ice
10. Croque Monsieur
11. In a crust, food inside pastry
12. The first are apples, the second potatoes
13. Crêpes Suzette
14. Small cakes or biscuits
15. Egg whites
16. Plat du jour
18. Main course; it is a meat and bean stew
20. Braised in red Burgundy
21. Lamb or mutton, with vegetables
22. Guide Michelin
23. Thick, batter pancakes
24. Rack of lamb
25. Thick fillet of beef.